Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My Home Sweet Home

I did promise to share some pictures with you.  Mexico City is and always be my home.
The kids and I had the chance to visit after four years.  I had been there alone during our spring break but I wanted to spend Christmas at home for a change. Tickets were not cheap at all and I can honestly tell you I had the most fabulous Christmas. Simple. Family. Food. Traditions...who needs anything else?

Let me share some things with you in case you are new to my blog:
- I was born and raised in Mexico City (yes, the polluted, extra populated city south of the border).
- I took my first plane ride 8 days after I turned 18.
- I was ignored by the American flight attendants (I do not blame them) because on the first flight I could not stop crying, and on the second flight... not sure why.  Let me put it this way... I could not put a sentence together in English, so they probably noticed that.
- I have lived in the United States for 20 years. Summer or 1994 marked a huge year for me.
- I am still an 'alien'.  I have not applied for citizenship so every time I fly I must show my green card (which by the way is not green) and my Mexican passport.
- My entire family lives in Mexico.  My mother's youngest sister and her family live in KY, where I lived when I came to 'visit'.
- No, I did not cross the river. A big airplane took me here :)
- I still struggle with being an ESL learner.  I am sure you have noticed :)
- My ESL brain does not seem to grow much and that is frustrating.
- I learned English slowly!  Prepositions and idioms still get me! Hubby laughs a lot (and corrects me too!).
- My family is not bilingual. Which makes it exhausting when my mother visits or when any of them go with me to Mexico.  I must confess I like talking about them behind their backs. I do it. I am not ashamed.  Some times they drive me crazy.
- Mexican (real Mexican) food is amazing and I miss it very much.
- I get super depressed when I return (guilt, sadness, memories...you name it). Feeling blue is part of the price I pay. I can't wait to feel better. Right now I just want to shake it off!

We were there for 11 days.  We did not ventured out much but we did make it downtown to see some things my son wanted to see (thanks to his history teacher).


Let's get the pictures show you more.
My son read about 'the eagle' that marks what the Incas saw as a sign to build their city (his words).
The second picture is La Cathedral. Beautiful. Old. Full of faithful followers.

This one is EL Palacio Nacional.  The president's office is here. His residence is else where, in a fancy location.

We walked for a bit and reached this 'tallish' building. La Torre Latino.  The second picture was taken after we went all the way up.

44 stories high. Best view of the city.

Here's El Palacio Nacional again from high up. I had to admire the traffic, which is really not that bad compared to other big avenues.

Bellas Artes is a beautiful building - think opera and classical music.  The picture on the right is a busy shopping area. We were there minutes before and it was packed.  Two days before Christmas. Do not recommend it.

Lastly, food!  I ate so much. I lost weight. Unbelievable!  Churros and shrimp cocktail...heaven. Pure heaven.

I will take my good camera next time.  It was hard to get good pictures with my hubby's camera that does not like me.  Half of the pictures we took have been erased. I guess I must go back...soon!

I also got the chance to see three of my high school friends (two ex-boyfriends and my BFF) after 20 years!  We talked so much and we have so much more to share! I must go back, alone :)

An amazing trip for sure!

Have you been to my home town?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to go back home and visit! I've been to Mexico, but not your hometown, but it looks amazing! Time to start planning your next trip!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete