Monday, November 25, 2013

Addition Strategies- Take Your Pick!

I am so excited to share these math addition strategies with you today!  I get to link up with Deirdre's math linky for the first time. 

I should have been a math teacher. I love math, especially in the young grades when you get to see the foundations getting stronger each day. When you can show them all the amazing connections math has, and best of all, show them to LOVE math, like I do :)

I counted today. I teach 21 mathematicians -11 can add three digit numbers, 7 can add two digit numbers, and 3 need more practice. I am happy with that. 21/21 adding three digit numbers is the goal by the end of the year, but I have time, right?

So, I took pictures of our independent practice last week. I added a few notes. I hope it makes sense to you. The only thing I do not have here are hundreds charts. 
  



The kids can choose any strategy to solve equations and math problems. They must be able to explain their thinking AND teach it someone else using mathematical terms. Not such a thing as "carrying" is allowed...regrouping it is :)

Happy Math Time!  Call me, I will teach math for you any day.

2 comments:

  1. You are more than welcome to come teach math for me;)

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great strategies! Oh carrying- RIP! Thanks so much for linking up.
    Deirdre
    A Burst of First

    ReplyDelete